- Now that you are an appointed judge for Mexico in WINA 2019, in a category as relevant as Design, how will you take on this responsibility?
I think it’s a big challenge because in these events the agencies set the trends with the creation of real pieces for the present and the future, a judge must understand that, to judge something and award it accordingly based in its own merit.
- Many traditional festivals have been questioned for different reasons, but do you think that judges can help festivals regain credibility? how?
It is complicated and I am always very critical of the industry with regards to this subject, as people end up awarding each other due to friendships rather than merit. It is a very prominent problem, well I’m being realistic, as you end up watching the end of the shows where campaigns that have clearly not deserved it are given awards, they make a video just to win a prize and ends up being a mockery. The creatives must construct important things, causing changes in the way that we think, there must be a well-formed judging panel, that is very important.
- Now let’s talk about advertising. Could Mexican Advertising be considered as being the one with the most distinct identity in Latin America?
It has a very distinguishable identity, with very iconic products, such as beers and tequilas and especially everything to do with gastronomy which entails it having a very distinct identity and distinct traits, but it often this can be reflected in a more negative way, seen with stereotypes in order to promote the best of Mexico.
- Ache, Ferrer, Nómades and Element were highlighted as the most outstanding agencies in Mexico in WINA Los Angeles, and they are also the main local referents of the industry, how do you see the competition between independent agencies in Mexico?
There is a very healthy competition between them as we compete a lot with different brand channels, we know how to collaborate in order to create relevant products and to achieve brand objectives, there is an environment characterized by respect and collaboration in which new agencies can arise.
- In previous WINA festivals you were ranked as being in the top 3 of the world, competing with large networks and independent agencies from all over the world based on a universal idea, those types that work anywhere and are always understood. How do you come up with those kind of ideas?
A relevant idea is important anywhere in the world, it is the main insight we have. When an idea is well formed with a good insight, it has to succeed. Having this valuable foundation allows you to be relevant anywhere and so from that angle we develop our ideas. When a client requires a solution, we help to solve the problem and we have been successful in doing so, because we see it from the right angle, delivering solutions to real problems.
- How do you stay current within the international radar?
Not thinking about it, we do not think about being better than an agency in Chicago, Berlin, Buenos Aires or wherever, we set our own trends and choose our own direction, trying to create, doing something different.
- What is the main challenge that ACHE must overcome this year?
To keep us in the arena, it is not about the winning, neither about winning prizes to add to the collection, but to win with the right idea or more to convince the ultra critical jury and to be rewarded for the relevance of that idea, the medal is that which acknowledges the true merit of the idea, to win or to otherwise carry on learning.